Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Module 10



Reaching Module 10 and having explored and played with so many new and exciting tools as part of the Web 2.0 course I am here to say that... the times really are a changing!! The above song kept playing in my head as I worked my way through the modules so I just had to include it! In fact the You Tube clip I wanted to show was taken off You Tube before I had a chance to publish this post...change?

What is a wiki?


'A wiki is a website that allows the easy creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser'

The short video 'Wiki's in plain English' we were asked to watch really explains what wikis are all about. In some ways I found them similar to Google Docs.


I can see how they would be a great resource to use in group work and also with higher order thinking skills...however I will need some more time to become familiar enough with wiki's before I use them with my students.

What is a Ning?





'A Ning is an online platform for people to create customize, and share their own social networks.'

As an ESL teacher in the Southern Region I am part of The ESL Southern Region Network Ning.
As part of this Ning these are some of the things available to me:
  • Delicious Tags for ESL
  • Forums that I can take part in
  • Notes,photos,videos that are pertinent to ESL
  • Blogs
  • Groups
  • Resources for ESL
These are just a few of the wonderful areas in the ESL Ning. It is valuable to me as this Ning is specific to ESL teachers (all teachers in my school can be part of this group) and any presentations that have been presented at inservices or meetings or Delicious tags are all at my fingertips through this Ning.



It really is a one stop for ESL matters!!!


It is amazing the changes that I have made already in my teaching having been part of this Web 2.0 course. The only hurdle is that of access to computers...as I am a 'floating' ESL teacher moving from class to class K-6.


However the students have all been exposed to a number of new and very exciting tools and are all very eager to access them as often as possible! 


What pleases me is the fact that are keen to read other students work from their own and other classes as well as write their own. The best part of this whole set up is that students do not think they are actually 'doing schoolwork' they think it's all play and fun....and really it is all of that and more!


I am also quite interested in setting up a blog for my students to use regardless of what class they are in...an ESL blog. I know my students would absolutely love it!


Couldn't end this post without a word about 'changes' from the great changer himself!!!




Only 1 post to go...


1 comment:

  1. Well what can I say! Your choice of Youtube video clips is superb. I am partiicularly impressed with your layout and the number of images you have included. It has been a tremendous learning curve for me to undertake the Web 2.0 course and an absolute pleasure to read and view your Module 10 Blog. Congratulations on completing the course. I am almost there! Only two modules to go after a really slow start- Phew. Looking forward to getting to the end of it and hopefully use some of the ideas presented by yourself and others. The tools we have used during the course a so 'mind-boggling' but at the same time thoroughly interesting and rewarding if you are able to put them to good use. I only hope we will be given the privilege to use these tools with our students- One can only hope!!

    ReplyDelete