Sunday, September 5, 2010

Module 4

What is flickr?





 'Flickr is an image and video hosting website, web services suite, and online community.  In addition to being a popular website for users to share and embed personal photographs, the service is widely used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.'






 
I have for quite some time enjoyed looking at other people's photostreams on flickr, however not really understanding how it was all done...thinking it was way too difficult for me...but thanks to Web2... I can do it...all by myself!!!
(Check out my photostream on the sidebar...)



 





 
My mind is absolutely in a spin as to how I would be able to use this fantastic tool with my students.
What a fabulous resource for language based activities...


 

  • vocabulary building and extension with real photos on a SMARTBOARD





 

  • picture talks to develop descriptive language using the most amazing photos from flickr gallery



 



 

  • narrative writing, again with photos from the flickr gallery



 


 

  • using photos taken by the students themselves while on excursions, or as part of class activities etc. students use the flickr tool to organise them into sets and then use these sets to write a factual recount of the event.






 
What is so wonderful is that you are able to use photos taken yourself as well as photos that are copyright free from flickr.



 




 
ESL children are often very capable and talented however unable to express themselves in English and I believe that using flickr as visual assisstance and stimulas is just another bonus for them in language aquisition.




 



 
I'm off to explore and play with the tools on flickr some more before taking the plunge into the next module!







No comments:

Post a Comment